Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Furry Friends VS Children

Having been married for nearly four years, I have been periodically bombarded with questions from married relatives, friends and even acquaintances on when would I be starting a family or why haven't I started a family of my own yet. Yes, those were the exact same people who kept interrogating and pestering me to tie the knot while I was still single and dating or worse, who used to continuously ask if I had already found my significant other when even the blind could see that I hadn't - just to make me suffer from inferiority complex. Funny thing is Mom, Dad and sis never did once ask me these.

It feels like it was only yesterday that I got married though I will be celebrating my fourth wedding anniversary come August. Like any other married woman, I have contemplated motherhood the moment hubby and I were joined in holy matrimony. My peeps who married after I have mostly now become proud parents. I, on the other hand, have somehow in these four years managed to abstain from becoming a baby-producing machine - with mutual understanding between hubby and I, of course. It wasn't the forces of science that have been working against hubby and me, rather it was the level humankind has degraded to that has been giving us second thoughts.

It is pretty shocking to read how moral decay among youths these days have caused them to succumb to vices and bad influences and how they view life as cheap and invaluable. There isn't a day that goes by without such news appearing all over the local dailies or on the world wide web. A day without such reports would be the day the pigs and cows fly. Let's face it. Every parent's apprehension starts at the point of the child's conception and ends with the parent's last breath. Sure I've been told that there's no point worrying about it now, it all depends on the virtues instilled by the parents on the kids while they are still young and to take each day as it comes. Que sara sara, some said. But would I want to spend my entire life worrying my head off of what might become of my child? For the impatient person that I am, I certainly don't think I am ready for such a huge commitment as yet and neither is hubby.

So what would we do should we decide to go childless by choice? For one, there are a lot of dogs out there which are homeless and which long for a good home. The door to our home will always be opened if it's fated that our paths should cross. A furry friend's love knows no boundaries - that I truly believe!

So there you go, curious minders.