Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Numb3rs - Believe It Or Not?

I was never quite a believer that numbers could either win me or lose me. Unlike most Chinese - that's where my roots are, though I am a "banana" - I do not think the numbers "3" could make me immortal, "4" could bring me disaster and "8" could bring me wealth in bountiful if I don't work my butt off.

However, I seem to be having a slight brush with my scepticism lately when I started getting sick, literally, all too often. My physical well-being hasn't been completely at its best since last month. It was only in early April 2010 that I was down with a very nasty flu that was the cause of a swollen tonsil - the worst that I can remember - that took me two whole weeks to recover with two visits to the doctor in a matter of two days. I was forced to breathe through my mouth, no thanks to my stuffy nose (stuffy as in stuffed with think mucus!) which required medication day and night to give way for clear air passage.

Then I recovered. Elated as I was at having the flu bug taken down, two weeks later, the cough bug hit me which again needed me to visit two doctors in two rounds within... you guessed it, two days! To add salt to wound, I've had insomnia the last two nights and my whole body now aches. Damn!

The number "2" is depicted as a good number for the superstitious Chinese for it's a homophone of the word "easy" in Cantonese. Could that be the reason I keep getting sick?

Having said that, do I still see myself as a sceptic or have I now turned into a believer? Nay, two wrongs don't always make a right.